Thirty years in the Met

Category: Families

Thirty years with the Metropolitan Police

(circa 2002) 

Sincere congratulations are extended to Murdo Morrison of ‘The Bungalow’, 20 New Tolsta (Mac Ghileis) on his retirement from the Metropolitan Police.

He joined in 1972, following in the footsteps of his uncle, John Morrison, Iain Iag, and has now completed 30 years. He had a varied career that began at Tottenham Court Road Police Station in Central London and it was at Tottenham Court road that he met his wife Jenny. They have been married for 22 years. Jenny still works as a police officer and hopes to join Murdo in retirement in three years time.

Jenny takes up the story, “During Murdo’s early days in the Police the IRA were particularly active and one day Murdo was on his way to deal with a bomb threat, in the Telephone Exchange across from the Police Station, when the bomb exploded, sending debris flying. One person was killed and Murdo had a narrow escape!

“Murdo then worked in Special Branch for a couple of years, some o the time doing undercover work. He must have been convincing because he managed to get himself arrested on a demonstration in East London and was thrown into the back of a police van. He lost his taste for undercover work after that!

"He then went to Wandsworth and Putney Police Stations in South West London. There he proved to be an extremely popular member of his shift, as he always brought back black puddings from Charlie Barley’s for his colleagues to have with their breakfast on an early shift. Maggie would wrap the black pudding in brown paper and secure it with string and Murdo would take it into work ready for the frying pan. On one occasion, because the station was so warm, he decided to leave the parcel on the windowsill. While he was getting ready for duty an announcement came over the tannoy warning everyone that the station was being evacuated because two suspected sticks of explosives had been found outside the locker room window!

"His final posting was to the Royal Protection Department, starting off at St James Palace where he worked for a short while with Cath Anne Mackay of 66 North Tolsta (nighean Ruairidh Bhig). Maggie, on a visit to London, was invited to tea by Cath Anne and she had the privilege of a ‘strupag’ at Clarence House. He ended his career at Windsor Castle and was on duty for many state occasions, including the funeral of the Queen Mother. He also met many visitors. On one occasion , after the Castle was closed an Italian gentleman approached him. He was on holiday with some friends from Scotland and wanted a look at the Castle. When asked what part of Scotland the gentleman replied, ‘A small island off the north west coast. Doubt if you have heard of it!’ Off course it was Lewis and Murdo spent the next half hour chatting to the visitors (from Galson, Ness) in Gaelic, much to the amusement of their hosts.”

Murdo plans to spend his early days of retirement learning computer skills, playing a bit of golf and gardening, but Jenny has other ideas!